As you approach the end of the year, this giving season you may be thinking about tax deadlines as well as the impact your grantmaking has made, and how you can continue to support just, equitable and resilient communities in San Diego and beyond.
This year, you partnered with us to give for good and help transform lives across our region.
In all, we granted more than $150 million to over 2,300 nonprofits – the most charitable year in our history. Your grantmaking resulted in:
- New programs that build generational wealth for Black San Diegans and grants that expand equitable workforce opportunities
- Increased access to affordable, quality childcare for families and educational attainment for first-generation college-goers and students of color
- Equitable outdoor access and support for family mental and behavioral health services
As you continue to invest in programs that do good for San Diegans who need it most, consider the following ways to make the most of your grantmaking this Giving Season.
How to Make a Grant
With your donor-advised fund (DAF) at San Diego Foundation (SDF), you can grow your giving, access charitable giving expertise and community knowledge, and make meaningful grants to nonprofits working on the frontlines.
Our Donor Services Team can help you understand the most pressing needs facing our communities this year – and how you can help through your grantmaking.
For immediate assistance, contact our Donor Services Team at (619) 814-1332 or DonorServices@sdfoundation.org. If you prefer to do your own research, we highly recommend Guidestar’s national database for information about nonprofit organizations.
This Giving Season, the most critical date to remember for your SDF grantmaking is this:
Grants guaranteed to be postmarked before December 31 must be received by December 22 at 12:00pm.
To recommend a grant, login to your MySDF account. Click on “Recommend Grant” and follow the instructions. Or, contact our Donor Services team at (619) 814-1332 or DonorServices@sdfoundation.org for assistance.
Grant Recommendation Process
At SDF, our grant recommendation process is the following:
- DAF advisors can recommend grants on our online platform MySDF or by completing and emailing a Grant Recommendation Form. Individuals who do not have a DAF or other charitable fund at SDF can make an online donation to one of our strategic initiatives or work with our Donor Services team to make a gift.
- The grant award minimum for DAF advisors is $250. Weekly approval of grant awards is the responsibility of our Board of Governors.
- Grant award checks are mailed directly to recipient nonprofit organizations. An award letter accompanies the check, which is mailed out within three working days of approval.
- Grants can be made for charitable purposes only. Grant awards cannot provide a personal benefit to any donor, fund advisor, staff member or volunteer at SDF, and cannot represent the payment of a personal pledge or financial obligation.
- Grant awards are reflected on donor fund statements, viewed on MySDF for easy access and tracking.
Supporting our Vision
If you would like to be more intentional about advancing our vision of just, equitable and resilient communities through your philanthropy this Giving Season, consider making a grant to one of our strategic initiative funds that align with your giving interests, including:
- Advancing Racial & Social Justice Fund: Supports community-led efforts to increase racial equity by providing equitable access to education, promoting homeownership in vulnerable communities, encouraging entrepreneurship, and mitigating discriminatory practices in philanthropy. Learn more about this work.
- Climate & Environment Fund: Reduces our region’s polluting emissions, protects biodiversity, minimizes local risks from climate change, and builds equitable climate resilience. Learn more about this work.
- College Access & Success Fund: Enables more children from underserved communities to have the support and resources they need to prepare for, access, and persevere through college. Learn more about this work.
- Early Childhood Fund: Provides all children and their families access to the early care, education and resources they need to flourish. Addresses Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), supports early child care providers, and increases access to care. Learn more about this work.
- Food Insecurity Fund: Promotes food security and equitable access to food for all San Diegans. Learn more about this work.
- Healthy Children and Families Fund: Provides equitable access to programs and services that support the mental, behavioral and physical health and well-being of San Diego children and their families. Learn more about this work.
- Outdoor Access Fund: Brings the benefits of outdoor experiences to children and families in underserved communities and develops our region’s next generation of environmental stewards. Learn more about this work.
- Workforce Development Fund: Supports science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and other programming related to youth and workforce development. Learn more about this work.
- Strategic Initiatives Fund: Advances racial and social justice, fosters equity of opportunity and builds regional resilience throughout San Diego County. Learn more about this work.
You can grant to one of these funds on the MySDF donor portal or by contacting us.
If you have questions about your grantmaking or are seeking one-on-one guidance this Giving Season, please do not hesitate to contact our Donor Services Team at (619) 814-1332 or email@example.com.
Contribution Guidelines for 2022
Refer to the critical dates below to ensure that contributions and grant recommendations are received and processed by December 31, the IRS deadline for yearly tax deduction eligibility. For some assets, these dates fall in November.
|Contribution Type||Action Needed||Timing|
|Mutual Fund||Call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 or email DonorServices@sdfoundation.org.||Mutual fund donations must arrive to SDF by November 23.|
|Stock||Submit a Stock Contribution Form or call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 or email DonorServices@sdfoundation.org.||Stock donations must arrive to SDF brokerage accounts by December 29 at 1:00pm.|
|Credit Card||Log in to your MySDF account.
Click on “Give to My Fund” and follow instructions.
Call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 to contribute to your fund with your credit card. Credit card processing fees will apply.
|Credit card donations must be processed by SDF by December 30 at 12:00pm.|
San Diego Foundation
2508 Historic Decatur Road, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92106
Please write your fund name and number in the memo field of your check. Make the check payable to San Diego Foundation. (For Endowment funds, please indicate whether the gift should be applied to the principal or distributable portion of the fund.)
|Mail must be postmarked by the U.S. Post Office by December 31.|
|Electronic Bank Transfer||Log in to your MySDF account.
Click on “Give to My Fund” and follow instructions.
Call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 to set up an electronic bank transfer to your fund.
|Funds must be received by December 30.|
|Wire Transfer||Call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 or email DonorServices@sdfoundation.org.||Funds must be received by December 30.|
Includes Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) and Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs)
|Deadlines and actions needed are dependent on IRA contribution type and custodian.|
|Grants||Log in to your MySDF account.
Click on “Recommend Grant” and follow instructions.
Call Donor Services at (619) 814-1332 or email DonorServices@sdfoundation.org.
|Grants guaranteed to be postmarked before December 31 must be received by December 22 at 12:00pm.|