Staff at The San Diego Foundation address the region’s most pressing challenges and identify opportunities by working with donors and partners to improve the quality of life for all San Diegans.
Thank you for your interest in the work of The San Diego Foundation. To learn more about our work and inquire about joining our team, contact email@example.com.
At The San Diego Foundation, we value our diverse and experienced staff that are committed to our mission of improving the quality of life within all of San Diego’s communities. We strive to be an employer of choice, offering a competitive compensation package, and a professional and vibrant work environment for those who have a passion for our mission that is carried out every day by providing leadership for effective philanthropy and promoting community solutions.
We are seeking an experienced director to develop and execute communication plans that primarily utilize public relations and media relations strategy to create awareness for The Foundation products, services, programs, and impact on our community. The Director will be the primary generator of written content for the organization, communicating with clarity and consistency in a strong, effective organizational voice.
Essential duties and principal responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with internal departments (e.g., Community Impact, Development & Stewardship, Executive Office, Finance & Investments) to support agreed upon priorities.
- Develops and executes communications plans for the organization and events, focusing on public relations, media relations and marketing content development.
- Researches and generates story ideas daily regarding Foundation programs, services, partnerships, and key initiatives. Works collaboratively with all departments to identify potential public relations strategies and stories. Identifies and prepares spokespeople.
- Drafts press releases weekly to generate earned media opportunities for the organization with key media relations contacts for The Foundation. Maintains strong relationships with current media list/reporters, including print, broadcast, radio and digital media.
- Conducts media training for key executives, volunteers, and partner representatives.
- Manages public relations firm and media partnerships.
- Tracks earned media value and impressions monthly, as well as other relevant key performance indicators.
- Lead content strategist and editor. Primary developer of written content for print and Works collaboratively to identify content development strategies that further The Foundation’s fund and partnership development goals. This includes but is not limited to press releases, media advisories, key messages, blog posts, direct mail, video production, brochures, reports, speeches, letters, PowerPoint decks and flyers.
- Supervises the Communications Specialist and works collaboratively on social media strategy to ensure social media plans and content support The Foundations goals.
- Works with the Communications Specialist to execute monthly content calendar.
- Ensures content is consistent with organizational values and brand promise.
- Provides recommendations to the VP, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, including issues management, content strategy, public relations strategy, budget, media buying, media partnerships, etc.
- Negotiates with media outlets for pro-bono advertising, sponsorships, partnerships, and aggressive media rates.
- Maintains a broad understanding of the San Diego community and uses this knowledge to identify and elevate key community issues through traditional and innovative approaches. Builds and maintains relationships with individuals and organizations that are instrumental to The Foundation’s success
- Represents The Foundation in the community
We are looking for:
- Ten years of experience in field of communications/marketing/public relations; with a minimum of five years of which has been leading and managing the communications strategy and staff for a department or division.
- Experience in a foundation or nonprofit organization is preferred, but not required.
- Professional attitude and demeanor to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Extensive experience with public relations, media relations, corporate communications, and online communications content (web, e-mail, blog, social)
- Established and working relations with print, broadcast, radio, and digital contacts.
- Proven success placing high visibility earned media stories.
- Expert written communication skills, including writing and editing for a variety of channels including traditional and online.
- Expert oral communications skills, including pitches and presentations.
- Proven track record managing and leading complex projects to successful outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of the San Diego community
- Strong emotional intelligence with the ability to inspire and motivate, and foster and encourage teamwork, and effectively manage conflict.
- Computer literate, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; contact management experience
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Thrives in fast-changing environment, works well under pressure, able to be flexible and open to change.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field from an accredited school required.
- Non-smoking, professional office environment
- Fast-paced work with multi-level distractions
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Ability to travel throughout San Diego County as needed
The San Diego Foundation offers an excellent work environment, benefits package, and competitive compensation.
Please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org and please place Director, Communications in the subject line. Please attach your resume and a cover letter.