Staff at The San Diego Foundation support our mission to inspire enduring philanthropy and enable community solutions to improve the quality of life in our region and are guided by a set of principles and values.
Below are current team member opportunities.
At The San Diego Foundation, we value a team composed of people committed to our mission of improving the quality of life within all of San Diego’s communities. We strive to be an employer of choice, offering a competitive compensation package, flexible work options and a professional and vibrant work environment for those who have a passion for our work of providing leadership for effective philanthropy and promoting community solutions.
We are seeking an experienced Communications Specialist who will assist in the planning and execution of communications strategy for The San Diego Foundation. This includes building awareness for the mission and values of The Foundation as well as Foundation services, programs and impact to engage fundholders, partners and prospects.
In collaboration with the Communications, Development & Stewardship, and Community Impact teams, the Communications Specialist will serve as a lead content creator for the Marketing & Communications Department, developing internal and public-facing messaging across a variety of the organization’s channels, including social media, blog and print collateral. This position will manage the social media program for the organization, bringing new and creative ideas to communicate the impact of programs and funds to a diverse range of stakeholders, including donors, community leaders and nonprofit partners.
The ideal candidate will also assist with public relations strategy and business development campaigns.
Essential duties and principal responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and execute social media campaigns that require buy-in and support from multiple stakeholders
- Build the social media program through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification
- Proactively identify new social media trends to grow the Foundation’s online presence and engagement
- Regularly analyze and assess performance of social media initiatives to present findings and recommend improvements
- Cultivate a network of internal and external influencers to elevate social media efforts for the organization
- Set up and optimize company pages within each platform to increase the visibility of social content
- Develop written and visual narratives that further The Foundation’s business development and programmatic goals
- Manage paid social media campaigns in collaboration with Comms department and other stakeholders
- Write a variety of content in a range of styles (social, news, feature, conversational) for The Foundation’s various communication vehicles including social media platforms, SDF News Blog, marketing communications materials, talking points, press releases and web content
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in social media including developing content and managing programs
- Good working knowledge of social media campaigns, strategies and analytics
- Experience with social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Three years or more of experience developing communications collateral, including content for blogs, marketing communications materials, press releases, and other materials
- Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion-oriented narratives, including awareness of stigma narratives and experience with asset framing to define the aspirations and contributions of diverse San Diego communities while educating and informing about their challenges
- Experience with paid social media campaigns and knowledge of best practices for advertising across online platforms
- Strong attention to detail, timeliness and record keeping
- Professional, positive attitude and demeanor to appropriately represent the organization with both internal and external partners
- Ability to generate creative marketing ideas, and create strong connections between creative strategies and organizational goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of online marketing and SEO tactics
- Politically savvy and discreet
- Ability to work independently and successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects with competing and changing priorities, and meet deadlines
- Regularly take the initiative to recognize problems, and clearly explain potential solutions
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment where adapting to change is necessary and the ability to multi-task successfully is critical
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with computer software applications to include MS Windows, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience with photography, videography or graphic design a plus
- Experience with a nonprofit organization preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related field preferred
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Spanish language fluency a plus
- Non-smoking, professional office environment
- Flexible work options to include remote work
- Fast-paced working with multi-level distractions
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
- Ability to travel to and attend meetings throughout San Diego County as needed
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume and a cover letter (2-page maximum) clearly defining your response to the following two questions to: email@example.com
- How would your work contribute to the mission and values of The San Diego Foundation?
- Could you describe any ways in which you have demonstrated a commitment to promoting and fostering an equitable organizational culture?
Please indicate in the Subject Line: Communications Specialist
Resumes and cover letters will be accepted up to Monday, July 20th.
Please direct all inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org