Join our Scholarship Evaluator Team
Interested in a hands-on volunteer opportunity to read, evaluate and make scholarship decisions for our local San Diego County students?
Then you may be a great fit as a scholarship application evaluator with the San Diego Foundation Community Scholarship Program!
With nearly 140 scholarship funds, 3,000 applicants and more than 900 recipients annually, we rely on our evaluators to make informed and thoughtful award decisions. We are inspired by the commitment our evaluators have made to students and are excited to work together to award a record amount of scholarships each year.
The scholarship selection process runs from January to mid-May. Scholarship evaluators are typically responsible for:
- Reviewing and scoring applications online
- Attending in-person or remote interviews with applicants
Scoring applications will take an average of 1-2 hours per pool. Each pool has an average range of 10 – 20 applications, though some may be larger or smaller. Evaluators may sign up to score as many pools as their schedule permits.
- December: Common Scholarship Application Opens
- February: Common Scholarship Application Closes
- February – April: Foundation staff qualifies applications
- April: Scholarship Application Evaluator training and assignments begin
- April – May: Application Evaluators read and score applications online
- June: All students are notified of awards