Join our Scholarship Evaluator Team
Interested in a hands-on volunteer opportunity to read, evaluate and make scholarship decisions for our local San Diego County students?
Then you may be a great fit as a scholarship application evaluator with the San Diego Foundation Community Scholarship Program!
With nearly 140 scholarship funds, 3,000 applicants and more than 900 recipients annually, we rely on our evaluators to make informed and thoughtful award decisions. We are inspired by the commitment our evaluators have made to students and are excited to work together to award a record amount of scholarships each year.
The scholarship selection process runs from January to mid-May. Scholarship evaluators are typically responsible for:
- Reviewing and scoring applications online
- Attending in-person or remote interviews with applicants
Scoring applications will take an average of 1-2 hours per pool. Each pool has an average range of 10 – 20 applications, though some may be larger or smaller. Evaluators may sign up to score as many pools as their schedule permits.
- January 18, 2023: Common Scholarship Application Opens
- March 8, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.: Common Scholarship Application Closes
- March-April 2023: Foundation staff qualifies applications
- April 2023: Scholarship Application Evaluator training and assignments begin
- April-May 2023: Application Evaluators read and score applications online
- June 2023: All students are notified of awards
2023-2024 Scholarship Evaluator Training
Community Scholarships Program Flyer (English and Spanish)
Interested in joining our Scholarship Selection Committee? Please contact Melanie Mashburn at email@example.com or (619) 814-1315.