This past year, we granted $104.1 million – the most charitable year in our 46-year history.
Our discretionary and competitive grantmaking directly aligns with the priorities outlined in our Strategic Plan, including:
- Advancing racial and social justice
- Fostering equity of opportunity
- Building resilient communities
In addition, as San Diego’s only regional community foundation, we are uniquely positioned to respond to emerging, critical needs in our county and beyond. In times of crisis, we may open responsive grant cycles for nonprofits to support those with the greatest needs.
Donor-directed grants from advised funds also contribute to our overall grantmaking efforts, accounting for 50 percent of Foundation grantmaking in fiscal year 2021. Check out our nonprofit frequently asked questions to learn how donors select nonprofits to support.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Grant Policy
SDF supports and encourages diversity in all of its forms, including but not limited to age, disability status, income or economic circumstance, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and sexual orientation.
- San Diego Foundation believes the board and staff composition of grant recipients should reflect the diversity and demographics of the community being served and include diversity among its leadership at the board and senior staff levels to ensure the diverse perspectives needed at these decision-making levels.
- All grant applicants must indicate that they accept The San Diego Foundation’s DEI policy or have a similar policy statement adopted by their board.
- In two pages or less, the San Diego Foundation requires applicants to:
- Provide demographic data on your board and staff.
- Explain how your nonprofit engages community members and constituents in planning, programming and making decisions.
- Describe what challenges, if any, you have encountered in engaging community members and constituents and what are you doing to overcome them.
- Share how your nonprofit advances racial equity.