In times of great emergency, community foundations are uniquely positioned to put our philanthropic leadership and deep, cross-sector relationships to work.
This Emerging, Important Needs page provides up-to-date resources and guidance on how you can support the region during times of need and respond to major crises around the world.
Crisis in Ukraine
After months of tension, Russia invaded Ukraine on Thursday, February 24. Attacks of war have put millions of civilians at risk. Many have volunteered to fight or been caught in the crossfire, with refugees escaping to neighboring countries. Ukrainians desperately need emergency aid.
Below is a list of organizations you can support that are providing aid from the U.S. and abroad. We will continue adding to this list in the coming days.
- King Baudouin Foundation Humanitarian Response Fund for Ukraine: Contribute directly to trusted organizations based in Ukraine. This fund is pooling contributions to be distributed to three local nonprofits working on the frontlines – Caritas Ukraine, People in Need Ukraine, and the Polish Red Cross. These three organizations provide food, shelter and medical assistance to vulnerable individuals across Ukraine and to the hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians who are seeking refuge across borders.
- International Rescue Committee: Mobilizing resources to aid Ukrainian refugees forced to flee their homes.
- CARE: International humanitarian organization providing immediate crisis response in Ukraine with the aim of reaching 4 million people with food, water and hygiene kits.
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy Ukraine Humanitarian Crisis Recovery Fund: This Fund will focus on medium- and long-term recovery, ensuring access to basic services and including education, food, health, protection, shelter, water, sanitation and hygiene.
- UNICEF: Response teams have been on the ground providing humanitarian relief in Eastern Ukraine since 2014, and UNICEF has launched an emergency appeal to raise funds to scale up relief efforts in the country and assist those fleeing to other countries. UNICEF is supporting health, nutrition, HIV prevention, education, access to safe drinking water, sanitation and protection for children and families caught in the conflict.
- Global Communities / Project Concern International: The Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund supports humanitarian assistance in impacted communities in Ukraine and surrounding regions where Ukrainian refugees have fled. Global Communities has worked in Ukraine for the past six years, forming deep relationships with local communities. With staff on the ground and established trust, they are well-positioned to assess needs and help Ukrainians address the current crisis.
TSDF Fund Advisors: All of the recommended organizations are eligible for a grant from your donor-advised fund. Please contact your Donor Services Team with any questions at DonorServices@sdfoundation.org or (619) 814-1332.
COVID-19 deepened racial inequity in many aspects of society and the events of the recent past have shined a light on systemic racism, especially as it impacts Black communities.
For San Diegans who are looking for ways to make an impact, the Black Community Investment Fund provides an opportunity for you to help make San Diego County a better, stronger and more equitable region so every San Diegan can thrive, prosper and feel like they belong.