The work and impact of the San Diego nonprofit community helps to advance just, equitable, and resilient communities in our region. To support your efforts, we’re sharing valuable information every month about upcoming workshops, events, fundraising opportunities, and resources with your organization.
Upcoming Events & Development Opportunities
- Candid provides learning opportunities to develop skills, practices, and behaviors that best prepare people working in the social sector for success.
Funding Opportunities at The Foundation
- Through the Basic Needs & College Success Grant Program, The San Diego Foundation is seeking to support college-access nonprofit partners who are bridging the gap between students’ basic needs and college success. Deadline: April 8, 2022, 2pm PST
Other Funding Opportunities
- Presented by the Comcast NBCUniversal Foundation in partnership with NBC and Telemundo stations in 11 markets, Project Innovation is strengthening communities by providing funding to local nonprofit organizations that are solving everyday problems in an innovative way. Deadline: March 25, 2022
- California American Water is accepting applications from organizations that have innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies. Deadline: March 31, 2022
- The Truman C. Kuehn Charities make grants to support a variety of charitable causes primarily in San Diego County. Program areas of interest include arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services, public and society benefit and religion. Deadline: April 1, 2022
- The Walter J. & Betty C. Zable Foundation makes grants to fund medical and science activities, programs that benefit youth and underprivileged individuals, and sports-related activities. The average grant amount in recent years has been $20,000. Requests from other areas will be considered. Deadline: May 1, 2022
- Sprout Farmers Market will be accepting applications beginning April 1 from organizations working at the community level providing nutrition education and healthy food access to kids. Grants range in size from $2,500 to $10,000 and support organizations that help children develop healthy eating habits that last a lifetime. Deadline: May 31, 2022
- The Parker Foundation is accepting applications from nonprofit organizations that provide services that improve the lives of people throughout the San Diego region. Deadline: Rolling
- Through a partnership with The San Diego Foundation, Nonprofit Solutions offers access to a free resource library for management and fundraising information.
- Need verification that you’re a tax-exempt California nonprofit fast? You can generate an automatic letter from the California Franchise Tax Board. You’ll need either your organization’s name or its Tax ID number. You’ll get an “Entity Status Letter” stating that you are exempt from taxes and in good standing with the Franchise Tax Board.
- Taxes can be time-consuming and complicated. The Tax Guide for Nonprofit Organizations from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration helps nonprofits better understand the tax obligations specific to nonprofit organizations.
- BoardSource provides resources and tools on a wide range of board leadership topics that help educate nonprofits and their board. Each topic page on the site provides a directory of downloadable resources, articles, and publications.
- Learn how to claim and update your organization’s Candid profile. Nonprofit profiles serve as a fundraising tool in telling an organization’s story and are viewed by numerous funders and foundations.
- Access over 200 eBooks for free on topics such as fundraising, grant writing, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The National Council of Nonprofits produces and curates tools and resources for nonprofits.
Career opportunities at The San Diego Foundation
- Staff at The San Diego Foundation address the region’s most pressing challenges and identify opportunities by working with donors and partners to improve quality of life for all San Diegans. The San Diego Foundation was recognized by The San Diego Union-Tribune as a 2020 and 2021 Top Workplace.
We are currently seeking applicants for the following:
- Grants Specialist Officer
- Manager, Regional Affiliates
- Research Specialist, Community Impact
- Senior Accountant
- Senior Manager, Binational Resilience Fund