The work and impact of San Diego nonprofits is important to advance just, equitable and resilient communities in the San Diego region. To support your efforts, we’re sharing valuable information every month about upcoming workshops, events, fundraising opportunities, and resources with your organization.
New Brand & Website
In case you missed the news, last week we launched a new brand mark and website to better serve San Diego’s diverse community of nonprofits and donors.
If you are a San Diego Foundation (SDF) grantee and plan to write or post information about your grant award and/or program, we kindly ask that you use our new logo and coordinate with our Communications Team prior to publishing content. This is to ensure proper usage of the San Diego Foundation brand and provide our team the opportunity to coordinate and complement communications efforts, as appropriate.
Events & Learning Opportunities
- National City Police Department and Grant Writing USA will present a two-day grant workshop in National City. Attend this class and learn how to find funding sources and write winning grant proposals. Beginning and experienced grant writers from the nonprofit community are encouraged to attend. Tuition for area nonprofits is $425 and includes everything: two days of terrific instruction, a workbook, and access to the Alumni Forum that’s packed full of tools, helpful discussions and more than 200 sample grant proposals. Please use the code “NPO” at the time of registration. Event dates: June 20-21, 2022
- Nonprofit Solutions is offering a free members-only (in-person) happy hour event featuring AJ Steinberg of Queen Bee Fundraising presenting on the topic of priming your organization for sponsorships. Event date: June 21, 2022, 4:00-6:00 p.m. PDT
- Blackbaud is offering The Future of Fundraising series covering topics that will make your future virtual event a success. Event Dates: June 22, 2022 and June 29, 2022, 2:00 p.m. PDT
- Nonprofit Ready offers hundreds of free professional development resources including courses and certificates on fundraising, grant writing, starting a nonprofit, finance, engagement, marketing, and human resources.
- Candid provides ongoing learning opportunities to develop skills, practices, and behaviors that best prepare people working in the social sector for success. This month, they’re offering a virtual workshop on an Introduction to Proposal Writing. Event Date: June 22, 2022, 12:00-1:00 p.m. PDT
SDF Funding Opportunities
- The Escondido Community Foundation (ECF) and SDF have partnered with the City of Escondido to grant $1.5 million to nonprofit organizations that serve the city. Eligible nonprofits must be located in or serve the city of Escondido. Learn more and apply here. Deadline: August 11, 2022, 5:00 p.m. PDT
Other Funding Opportunities
- The California Arts Council is accepting applications for four of their open grant programs: Folk and Traditional Arts, Individual Arts and Cultural Practitioners, Arts and Accessibility and California Creative Corps. Deadline: Various
- The Parker Foundation has been supporting non-profit organizations in their efforts to improve life for all San Diegans. From arts organizations to homeless service providers, The Parker Foundation is inviting nonprofits that focus on these efforts to submit applications. Deadline: Monday, June 27th, 12:00 p.m. PDT
- The Barona Band of Mission Indians is accepting grant applications from schools throughout California. Grants may be used to purchase much-needed supplies and materials such as books and computers. Applications for the grant may be submitted by your locally-elected state official on your behalf, or you may submit the application directly as long as it is accompanied by an endorsement letter by your State Executive Office holder, Senator or Assembly member. Deadline: June 30, 2022
- SAMHSA is offering several funding opportunities for programs related to mental health and well-being. Nonprofit organizations are encouraged to apply for the following funding opportunities:
- Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Behavioral Health Center of Excellence. Deadline: July 8, 2022
- Center of Excellence on Social Media and Mental Wellbeing Cooperative Agreement. Deadline: July 18, 2022
- Cooperative Agreements for Innovative Community Crisis Response Partnerships. Deadline: July 25, 2022
- Cooperative Agreements for School Based Trauma-Informed Support Services and Mental Health Care for Children and Youth. Deadline: July 25, 2022
- The Marisla Foundation is accepting applications for their Environment Program that focuses on activities that promote the conservation of biological diversity and advance sustainable ecosystem management. The primary emphasis is on marine and coastal biodiversity conservation. The Environment Program also supports the search for solutions to health and environmental threats caused by toxic chemicals. Deadline: July 15, 2022
- The Doris Day Animal Foundation is accepting proposals from nonprofit organizations that need assistance in their work caring for and protecting animals. Through their grants, scores of animal rescue and welfare organizations have received sustaining resources to continue their work, to offer additional services or to expand their reach to the animals who most critically need their help. A special focus for DDAF is on programs benefiting senior pets and the people who love them. Deadline: July 31st, 2022
- The City Council of San Diego will be accepting applications beginning July 1, 2022 for their Community Projects, Programs & Services Funding program. Nonprofit organizations with projects that meet community, social, environmental, cultural, and recreational community needs in the city of San Diego are encouraged to apply. Deadline: July 31, 2022
- The San Diego County Bar Foundation is accepting applications for its Indigent Criminal Defense Fund. Funding will be provided exclusively for the furtherance of and to support Indigent Criminal Defense purposes, including programs, projects and activities in San Diego County. SDF is committed to supporting new organizations and getting new projects/programs off the ground. New organizations/programs are encouraged to apply but need to effectively communicate their ability to successfully deliver a sustainable program that supports those in our community impacted by poverty, abuse or discrimination. Deadline: August 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
- The Teichert Foundation is accepting grant applications beginning July 1, 2022 for projects and programs in various focus areas. Please see their site for more information. The Foundation uses GuideStar applicant information. Be sure to that your organization is registered with GuideStar and that the information is current. Deadline: August 5, 2022
- The Walter J. & Betty C. Zable Foundation is accepting program proposals, particularly for programs that benefit youth and underprivileged individuals, active and retired military personnel and sports-related activities. Deadline: August 1, 2022
- Price Philanthropies encourages nonprofits in San Diego and particularly those that serve the community of City Heights to apply for their ongoing grants. Deadline: Ongoing
- Based on the belief that it is important to be responsive to time-sensitive community needs and opportunities affecting the most vulnerable populations, Alliance Healthcare Foundation provides responsive funding up to $25,000. Responsive funding applications may be submitted at any time. Deadline: Ongoing
- The Parker Foundation is accepting applications from nonprofit organizations that provide services that improve the lives of people throughout the San Diego region. Deadline: Rolling
- American Humane’s Second Chance grant offers public and private animal sheltering agencies and rescue groups financial assistance to help offset the costs of rescuing animals who are homeless or victims of human cruelty. Nonprofits that focus on animal rights and rescue are encouraged to submit proposals. Deadline: Ongoing
- CalNonprofits offers a wide array of resources for California-based nonprofits.
- Nonprofit Hub produces free guides on several helpful topics for nonprofits.
- The Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) may provide letters of support for organizations in California applying for federal grants. If you are applying for a federal grant and would like to receive a letter of support from DHCS, you can submit a request to email@example.com.
- Through a partnership with San Diego Foundation, Nonprofit Solutions offers access to a free resource library for management and fundraising information.
- BoardSource provides resources and tools on a wide range of board leadership topics that help educate nonprofits and their boards. Each topic page on the site provides a directory of downloadable resources, articles, and publications.
- Learn how to claim and update your organization’s Candid profile. Nonprofit profiles serve as a fundraising tool in telling an organization’s story and are viewed by numerous funders and foundations.
- Access over 200 eBooks for free on topics such as fundraising, grant writing, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The National Council of Nonprofits produces and curates tools and resources for nonprofits.
SDF Career Opportunities
SDF was recognized by The San Diego Union-Tribune as a 2020 and 2021 Top Workplace. Our team is committed to advancing racial and social justice, fostering equity of opportunity, and building resilient communities.
- Administrative Assistant, Community Impact
- Administrative Assistant, Development & Stewardship
- Communications & Events Manager
- Gift/Data Entry Administrator
- Grants Specialist Officer
- IT Support Analyst
- Manager, Education Initiatives
- Program Specialist, Education Initiatives
- Video Production Specialist
- Program Officer, Infrastructure Delivery, San Diego Regional Polocy & Innovation Center
Visit SDFoundation.org/Careers to learn more.