What is a Nonprofit Fund?
Hundreds of forward-thinking, local nonprofit leaders turn to us to provide opportunities for long-term sustainability to stabilize their organizations and strengthen our region.
Nonprofit funds at San Diego Foundation support your nonprofit’s operations and programs over time or in perpetuity.
We handle fund administration and provide world-class investment management of your assets so you can focus on what’s most important: your mission.
Benefits of Nonprofit Funds
Nonprofit funds help 501(c)(3) organizations sustain their good work into the future. Key benefits include:
- Having a constant source of funding to weather resource gaps that may occur throughout a fiscal year, helping to ensure that your vital programs and staff will not be affected.
- Contributing the assets you or your donors want to give to your fund at any time, including cash, stock, or complex assets like real estate and more on behalf of organizations.
- Reducing long-term financial risk by partnering with an array of investment managers and strategies that might not otherwise be available; receiving quarterly Investment Updates from Foundation leaders to view the latest performance of your charitable assets.
- Accessing personalized philanthropic services and the ability to view your fund details at any time through MySDF, our secure online portal.
- Support for your work with donors that assist your planned giving efforts, including charitable gift annuities, charitable trusts and charitable remainder trusts.
- Affiliating your nonprofit’s brand with the reputation of SDF, and appealing to donors who see the permanence of your mission assured by your endowment.
- Gaining exposure to SDF website, blog and newsletter content distributed region-wide.
- Fundraising for your fund through the Nonprofit Fund List on our website or working with our team to set up your nonprofit fund donation page maintained by SDF. Donors may contribute at any level to already existing funds.
- Relieve your team of the administrative burden of managing the assets. We handle your fund’s accounting, reporting, gift acknowledgments and other administrative duties so you can focus on your organization’s mission.
- Ensuring endowment funds are protected from organizational change or future reclamation.
Types of Nonprofit Funds
We offer local organizations two options for nonprofit funds:
- Nonprofit Endowment Funds: For nonprofits that want to protect long-term assets while receiving annual distributions to support their mission. The fund is invested in our endowment portfolio to provide long-term sustainability.
- Nonprofit Non-Endowment Funds: For nonprofits that want to protect medium- to long-term assets. Distributions back to your organization may be requested as needed, providing you with maximum flexibility. The fund is invested in one of our non-endowment portfolios to generate long-term growth.
How to Get Started
Starting a nonprofit fund is easy.
1. Choose What to Give.
Almost any kind of asset may be used to start your nonprofit fund at SDF, including cash, publicly traded securities, privately held stock, interests in limited partnerships, real estate and more. Tax deductions are earned at the time of your gift.
2. Decide to Make Your Fund Endowed or Non-Endowed.
If you want to protect long-term assets and receive annual distributions to support your mission, an endowed fund is the right fit. If you prefer the flexibility to request distributions from your fund back to your organization as needed, you may be better suited for a non-endowed fund.
3. Name Your Fund.
Your fund will carry the name you choose. Often, nonprofit funds are named after the organizations they support.
4. Sign Your Fund Agreement.
Our Giving Team will walk you through the necessary paperwork to finish setting up your fund and explain investment portfolios and important policies. We will work with you to create a tailored solution that meets your organization’s long-term goals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Open a Fund Today
Set up a charitable fund that matches your philanthropic goals and personal interests.
Nonprofit Fund Fees
Fees from charitable funds at SDF fund our operations and are re-invested into communities through grantmaking, programs and initiatives that support urgent regional needs.
Connect with our Giving Team
We are here to help you by delivering your organizations world-class service and promptly responding to your needs.
Our experienced staff understands the technical complexities of nonprofit funds and helps simplify the process.
Contact us at (619) 814-1332, email us or submit a Contact Form.