What is a Nonprofit Fund?
Hundreds of forward-thinking, local nonprofit leaders turn to us to provide opportunities for long-term sustainability to stabilize their organizations and strengthen our region.
Nonprofit funds at San Diego Foundation support your nonprofit’s operations and programs over time or in perpetuity.
We handle fund administration and provide world-class investment management of your assets so you can focus on what’s most important: your mission.
Benefits of Nonprofit Funds
Nonprofit funds help 501(c)(3) organizations sustain their good work into the future. Key benefits include:
- Creating a reliable, ongoing source of income for your organization’s work in perpetuity.
- Relieve your team of the administrative burden of managing the assets. We handle your fund’s accounting, reporting, gift acknowledgments and other administrative duties so you can focus on your organization’s mission.
- Reducing long-term financial risk by partnering with an array of investment managers and strategies that might not otherwise be available; receiving quarterly Investment Updates from Foundation leaders to view the latest performance of your charitable assets.
- Accessing personalized philanthropic services and the ability to view your fund details at any time through MySDF, our secure online portal.
- Affiliating your nonprofit’s brand with the reputation of SDF, and appealing to donors who see the permanence of your mission assured by your endowment.
- Fundraising for your fund through the Nonprofit Fund List on our website, or working with our team to set up your own nonprofit fund donation page maintained by SDF. Donors may contribute at any level to already existing funds.
- Contributing the assets you want to give to your fund at any time, including cash, stock, or complex assets like real estate and more on behalf of organizations.
- Ensuring endowment funds are protected from organizational change or future reclamation.
Types of Nonprofit Funds
We offer local organizations two options for nonprofit funds:
- Nonprofit Endowment Funds: For nonprofits that want to protect long-term assets while receiving annual distributions to support their mission. The fund is invested in our endowment portfolio to provide long-term sustainability.
- Nonprofit Non-Endowment Funds: For nonprofits that want to protect medium- to long-term assets. Distributions back to your organization may be requested as needed, providing you with maximum flexibility. The fund is invested in one of our non-endowment portfolios to generate long-term growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Open a Fund Today
Set up a charitable fund that matches your philanthropic goals and personal interests.
Nonprofit Fund Fees
Fees from charitable funds at SDF fund our operations and are re-invested into communities through grantmaking, programs and initiatives that support urgent regional needs.
Connect with our Giving Team
We are here to help you by delivering your organizations world-class service and promptly responding to your needs.
Our experienced staff understands the technical complexities of nonprofit funds and helps simplify the process.
Contact us at (619) 814-1332, email us or submit a Contact Form.